Dear New America School Community,
With this communication we want to share our deep concern for, and commitment to, our students and families affected by the recent decision by the President concerning DACA, or Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals.
As background, according to senior Department of Homeland Security officials, effective immediately, the DHS is providing a six-month phase out window in which it will decide pending requests and give Congress a chance to pass a legislative alternative.
- For any initial DACA requests and applications for Employment Authorization Documents (EADs) that have been received as of Tuesday, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) will adjudicate them on an individual case-by-case basis.
- USCIS will reject all initial DACA requests and associated EADs received after Tuesday.
- For any requests for renewing DACA benefits and associated applications for EADs that have been received as of Tuesday, USCIS will adjudicate them on an individual, case-by-case basis.
- For individuals whose DACA status expires between Tuesday, September 5, 2017 and March 5, 2018, USCIS can still adjudicate their renewal requests, but only if they’re received by Oct. 5, 2017.
- For any EADs that are lost, stolen or destroyed, USCIS will continue to process the replacement document for the remainder of duration that they’re valid.
As a community, we support and honor all of our students and their families, regardless of immigration status, and we will continue to be as inclusive and accommodating as possible. We want to assure you that our current procedures will remain in place regarding student enrollment, any request for release of records and access to students during the school day.
Furthermore, over the course of the next few weeks, our Administrative staff and Governing Board will be reviewing existing policy and procedures to ensure the highest level of safety and security for our students.
Finally, over the next six months we will be actively working with our elected officials and neighboring school districts to have our voices heard regarding any “legislative alternative” that Congress is considering.
In closing, at New America School – Colorado we deeply value every one of our students and their families and want to continue to provide the best possible opportunity for success. We look forward to working with you to answer any questions you may have.
Daniel M. McMinimee
NAS – Colorado